Friday, January 15, 2010

Mya's first visit to the ER

So as you all know our little Mya was sick last week with a fever (first fever ever, so I was freakin that it was at 100.5). We thought that she was getting better since her runny nose was getting better, no fever through the weekend but still a smokers cough. Tuesday Aunt Mary texts me in the afternoon and says she hasn't been herself to just keep eye on her. I get home from work we try to feed her dinner and she didn't want it, which is strange cause this girl ALWAYS eats. I just let it go, thinking maybe it's the cold from last week still lingering. I get ready to put her in the tub and she's burning up. So we take her temp and it's at 103.5!!!!!!!! I start freaking out, call the Dr they say to give her Motrin and a bath, keep an eye on her through the night, to come in the morning. I fill the tub with water and she literally falls asleep on my chest as the water is filling, which is NOT like her at all. I knew it was going to be a rough night. We take her temp at 2am and it's at 102, so we give her more Motrin. We wake in the morning and her temp is back to normal, THANK GOD!!!! So we head to the Dr for a 10am appt. We go in and her temp is at 102.7, they take some blood and her white blood cell count is high so we need to go to the ER for testing. I'm FREAKING out at this point, all by myself with Mya. We get to the ER (where Ry and my aunt meet me), they run tests (blood, xrays, catheterize, and take some mucus), this was so hard to watch girl, the poking and Ry having to hold her down while I try and calm her, just completely breaks my heart. They come back about 3 hours later to tell us everything is fine, they're gonna give her some antibiotics (through IV) to kill bacteria that it must be. We start sending the texts out to let everyone know she's fine, nothing serious. Well 20 minutes before we leave, the Dr comes back to tell us there has been a change and that the radiologist just sent the report and sees a minor pneumonia. So, OF COURSE, I start freakin out cause they didn't catch this originally. How can they not catch this? They give us a prescription of antibiotics for her and we leave. Yesterday we go back to her pediatrician and I noticed some wheezing the previous night. The Dr goes, oh yea I hear that. Like COME ON, why am I hearing this and not her. She advises us that we need to start a nebulizer. Can I tell you exactly how hard this is to do on a little 9 month old who is constantly pushing this thing away from her face. We literally have to sneak it under my arm as I'm nursing her. I would NEVER be able to do this alone! So again, we go back to the Dr today. The wheezing has stopped, however we need to continue with the nebulizer for about 2 weeks. Her temp is down to 100, which is better but we still need to get it back to normal. We're hoping that levels off by tomorrow.
Anyway, here are a few pics from the hospital. Our poor little snugglepuppy is such a trooper.
Here she is playing with all the gauze and stuff before the tests.


Waiting for the xrays. Notice her bandaged hand. That's where the needle was so they could give her the antibiotics later on.

Finally able to take a little nap while we wait for results.

Time for the antibiotics. She wanted to rip the tube out. She is so feisty!!!

She did get a soccer ball from one of the nurses. TIME TO GO!!!!!!!!

No comments: